How Agile Revolutionizes the Technology Market
What you will read here:
- What powerful principles make Agile one of the foundations of successful digital operations
- The framework and applications capable of transforming your business
- How Agile can help your company generate business impact with speed
In 2001, seventeen developers unhappy with the lengthy software production processes - which until then had followed a rigorous step by step - gathered in Snowbird, USA, to discuss a new methodology that would bring more speed and agility to the work. From that meeting, the manifesto of Agile Software Development emerged and with it the principles that underlie agile development.
According to the manifesto, the methodology must value:
- Individuals and interactions more than processes and tools
- Working software more than comprehensive documentation
- Customer collaboration more than contract negotiation
- Responding to change rather than following a plan
The 12 principles of Agile
1. Our highest priority is to satisfy customers through fast and continuous delivery of software that brings value;
2. Changes in requirements are welcome even in the final stages of development. Agile processes take advantage of these changes to offer the customer a competitive advantage;
3. Deliver ready-made software regularly, in a short period of time, always focusing on reducing time;
4. Business and development professionals must work together throughout the project;
5. Create projects motivating people. Offer the environment and support they need and trust their work;
6. The most efficient and effective method of transmitting information to a development team is face-to-face dialogue;
7. The main measure of progress is to deliver properly functioning software;
8. Agile processes promote sustainable development. Sponsors, developers and users must be able to maintain a constant pace indefinitely;
9. Have continuous attention to technical excellence and good design to increase agility;
10. Simplicity - or the art of minimizing unnecessary work is essential;
11. The best architectures, requirements and projects arise from teams that self-organize;
12. At regular intervals, the team reflects on how to become more effective and then optimizes and adjusts its behavior accordingly.
Fulfilling all these principles, Agile Software Development brings agility and dynamism to software development.
Agile methodology: frameworks and applications
Due to its efficiency in optimizing processes, Agile crossed the frontiers of technology and today is an alternative project management methodology that can be adapted to any production context. For this reason, it is necessary to know not only its principles and premises, but also its frameworks and applications.
Among them is Scrum, a dynamic management model in which the phases of any project, action or production within the organization are developed in short periods, with continuous and valuable deliveries to customers. Everything is done through the exchange of information and, for this, Sprints - or development cycles - are applied.
Through daily meetings, the teams involved are brought together in environments for the exchange of knowledge, collaboration and co-creation. Work becomes more dynamic and productive and an initiative is observed and transformed several times during development. In this process, feedback from each person on the team is important, but also from customers who contribute to the realization of each delivery. Thus, products and solutions are much more likely to succeed.
The role of Agile in the digital transformation
The characteristics of Agile, to enable fast and frequent deliveries with a focus on continuous improvement that fits perfectly with the current market need. Today, the customer demands satisfactory products and experiences each time faster. It is no wonder that Agile is one of the basic operating methods of startups.
Companies that are embarking in their digital transformation journey , going through deep structural changes, often bet on the implementation of teams that work Agile. However, these initiatives without articulation with a robust base methodology that supports them - like the Lean management philosophy - end up having isolated results and do not gain scale in the company. That is, they do not promote the construction of a digital operation.
So, in order to not make the same mistake - and end up wasting a powerful solution like Agile - it is necessary to seek knowledge, study cases and operating formats that best adapt to the context of your company.
At CI&T we developed a digital transformation model based on Lean principles— continuous improvement, collaboration, and only delivering what is valuable to the customer, bringing agility, speed and the mindset of experimentation in short cycles.